At Choose Texas Power, we aim to provide consistent, reliable information about energy plans. Our partners do not direct our editorial content, though we may reference their products in our posts. Read about how we make money to learn more.
DRAKULA IMAGES/Moment/Getty images
How to get electricity today
Whether you are moving or looking to switch providers, many energy companies have same-day electricity activation. Energy providers will communicate with your utility company to turn on your power the same day you purchase your plan. Follow the steps below to find same-day electricity plans near you.
- Enter your ZIP code to find available electricity plans in your area.
- Compare and choose a plan that best fits your energy needs. Use the filters to sort through plans based on features, ratings, terms, rate types, and providers.
- Sign up for service on our site or call the number on your screen to speak with an energy specialist. Ask them about same-day electricity services.
Same-day electricity providers in Texas
Texas residents, including those in Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Corpus Christi, have access to same-day electricity. Energy providers such as 4Change Energy, Cirro Energy, Payless Power, and TXU Energy provide same-day services as long as you call before a specific time. The daily cut-off time varies by provider, but it is typically between 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Enter your ZIP code or call the number on your screen today to find the best energy plan in your area offering same-day electricity services.
Same-day apartment electricity
Most apartments require electricity under your name before you can move in. Sign up for an energy plan on our site or call the number on your screen for same-day apartment electricity. Your selected energy provider will provide proof of service for your apartment’s leasing office.
Same-day home electricity
There are many concerns when moving to a new home. It can be easy to forget the basics, like electricity. Same-day electricity removes the pressure of setting power up beforehand and the worry of spending the first night in your new home without power. If you would rather set up your electricity before moving, most providers allow you to set up your electricity plan 60 to 90 days in advance. Enter your ZIP code to compare and select available electricity plans in your area.
Types of same-day electricity plans
- Prepaid electricity plans allow you to pay upfront for the amount of electricity you expect to use that month. Prepaid plans do not require contracts or credit checks. Payless Power specializes in prepaid electricity options and provides same-day electricity services.
- No-deposit electricity plans do not need an upfront deposit before beginning service. No-deposit plans are ideal for customers who want to avoid a credit check or do not have the funds for a deposit. Payless Power offers two no-deposit electricity plans.
- Green energy plans are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. All electricity plans in Texas have a percentage of green energy from wind, solar, and other renewable sources. Gexa Energy and Green Mountain Energy offer 100% green energy plans.
- Commercial energy plans are also available in our marketplace. Enter your ZIP code, choose your service type, and a start date to find the best commercial energy plans for your business.
Frequently asked questions
Can you get same-day electricity on a Sunday?
No. Texas electricity providers do not operate on Sundays or major holidays. Certain energy companies operate on Saturdays. Check your selected energy provider’s hours to receive same-day electricity service.
What is the difference between a fixed and variable rate plan?
Fixed-rate plans offer a stable rate throughout the length of your contract. These plans protect you from fluctuating electricity prices. Variable-rate plans depend on the energy market and change month to month. These plans allow customers to capitalize on low rates during times of low demand. Use our guide to understand your energy bill.
Where can I find the details for my energy plan?
The Electricity Facts Label (EFL) for your energy plan lists your plan’s details, including the rate, contract length, and percentage of green energy.